Usually, at Boxed Halal, we share with you typical and world-renowned recipes from Pakistan and the Middle East. The Lemon Roast Chicken with Couscous recipe is inspired by Hayden Quinn's recipe. It is not a typical recipe, but its flavors, and the combination of ingredients, definitely reminds us of Turkey.
This complete tray consists of a roasted chicken marinated with yogurt. Served on a bed of couscous, and accompanied by roasted onions, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted peppers, and roasted garlic. All this, decorated with fresh mint leaves and lime wedges. It is a real delight. It is a complete dish, which does not need other more garnishes.
How is Yogurt Roast Chicken marinated?
Yogurt is the essential component of the chicken marinade. But as you would expect in Turkish cuisine, many spices will give it that unique flavor. In this case, after cleaning the chicken and removing the skin. We season it with yogurt, lime juice, coriander seeds, ground cumin, pepper, grated fresh ginger, paprika, and salt.
The secret is to leave this chicken resting in the marinade for at least three hours. Then it should be cooked in the oven on a roasting tray, and that's it.
Garnishes for Lemon Roast Chicken with Couscous
Besides the Couscous, this tray has a variety of flavors and textures that makes it so appetizing. Here we list them:
- Roasted garlic. The first item is roasted garlic. For this recipe, we use two heads of garlic, cut in half and roasted. When roasted, the garlic loses its intense flavor and is very pleasant. Remember to cook with skin.
- Roasted onion. It is prepared in a similar way to garlic. We chose red onion, to make the tray more colorful, but you can use any variety of onion, white or yellow.
- Sweet Potato. Cooking sweet potatoes is very easy. You have to wash them very well with a brush, without peeling them. Then, they are wrap in aluminum foil and baked while the chicken is roasting. If you wish, after they are soft, you can brown them over high heat in a pan with a pinch of oil.
- Roasted Pepper. The roasted pepper is cook next to the chicken, whole, with skin and seeds. Cut into julienne before serving.
- Couscous. Couscous bed preparation couldn't be easier. You only have to heat two cups of chicken broth, until they boil, add the couscous and turn off immediately. Cover the pot and let the couscous hydrate in the water and that's it.
So, without further ado, let's get to the recipe.
YOGURT ROAST CHICKEN
1 whole chicken, approximately 1.5 kilograms.
1 cup of yogurt, 200 g., Unsweetened and unflavored
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
2 tbsp of lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 tbsp of ginger, fresh, grated. Or 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp of paprika
1 tbsp of salt
1 red bell pepper, 150 g. approx.
3 sweet potatoes, 800 g. approx.
1 ½ cups of couscous, 200 g. approx.
3 cups of chicken broth
2 small red onion, 70 g. each
2 small garlic heads
2 lemons, sliced
2 tbsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the chicken:
For the garnish:
Clean the chicken, remove the skin, and any excess fat. Cut it into large pieces. Rinse the chicken pieces and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
Place the chicken in pieces in a large bowl and season. Sprinkle with the coriander seeds, garlic, lime juice, cumin powder, ginger, paprika, and salt. Rub the chicken very well with the spices. Then cover with the yogurt. Make sure all the chicken meat is in contact with the yogurt. Put a lid on the bowl and let it sit in the fridge for about two to three hours.
Meanwhile wash the sweet potatoes with a brush, under running water, and wrap them in aluminum foil. Wash the pepper very well and reserve. Wash the onions and peel them. Then cut them into two halves. Wash the garlic heads and cut them in half. Reserve all these ingredients for roasting.
Place the chicken broth in a small saucepan and bring it to the stove over medium heat. When it starts to boil, add the couscous, and stir with a spoon so that all the couscous is moistened. Turn off the cooker immediately and put a lid on the pot to allow the couscous to hydrate. This process takes about half an hour. Then uncover and shell the couscous. It will be ready for the tray.
When the chicken is well marinated, remove it from the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 160 °C / 320 °F.
Arrange a roasting pan, and distribute the chicken pieces, the chopped onion, the whole red pepper, and the garlic heads on it. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, along with the sweet potatoes wrapped in foil. Cook it all together, until golden brown.
Remove the tray from the oven and proceed to serve. Serve a bed of couscous on a tray, top with the chicken pieces, with the onions and roasted garlic.
Cut the stem of the pepper, extract the veins and seeds. Then cut it into julienne. Serve it inside the tray.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and remove the aluminium foil. Cut them into pieces. If you want you can peel them, it is optional. Serve them inside the tray.
Finally, garnish with fresh mint leaves and sliced lime. Serve with yogurt sauce.