Lebanese Coffee Dessert Jars
Introducing Lebanese Coffee Dessert Jars, a unique dessert that may not be a traditional Middle Eastern delicacy like Baklava or Kunefe, but beautifully combines the beloved flavors of the region. In these elegant jars, you'll find a harmonious blend of Arabic coffee, creamy yogurt, aromatic cardamom, and luscious nuts. It's reminiscent of the renowned tiramisu, yet infused with the essence of Arab flavors. Get ready to indulge in a delightful fusion of Middle Eastern delights with every spoonful.
The success of tiramisu lies in the artful combination of flavors and textures—a moist biscuit base paired with creamy mascarpone cheese. The bitter yet sweetened coffee infuses the dessert, much like the indulgent mascarpone. However, tiramisu, with its richness, can be a heavy dessert. With Lebanese coffee dessert jars, you can replace the high-fat mascarpone with Greek yogurt, and you can even opt for a low-fat version. As for the alcohol (traditionally, tiramisu contains Marsala wine), it can be substituted with the finest Oriental spices—cinnamon, cloves, and the unrivaled cardamom. These exotic flavors add a delightful twist to the dessert, making it a lighter and more refreshing experience.
How to make the Lebanese Coffee Dessert Jars?
We begin by brewing a strong pot of Lebanese coffee, capturing the rich aroma and exotic flavors that are quintessential to this Middle Eastern delight. Once the coffee is ready, we carefully dip our preferred choice of biscuits into the fragrant brew. While you can use any biscuits you prefer, I recommend using soft and sponge-like ladyfingers or sponge biscuits. These biscuits readily absorb the flavors of the Lebanese coffee, resulting in a moist and flavorful base for our dessert.
In elegant glass jars or cups, we place a layer of these moistened biscuits at the bottom, forming a foundation for the layers of indulgence to come. With a generous hand, we spoon a thick layer of creamy Greek yogurt atop the biscuits, spreading it evenly to create a luscious bed of tangy goodness.
To add a delightful crunch and a burst of nutty flavor, we generously sprinkle the yogurt with finely chopped walnuts. The vibrant green color of the walnuts adds a visually pleasing touch to the dessert, creating an alluring contrast against the creamy backdrop of yogurt.
We continue building our dessert masterpiece by repeating the layers of moistened biscuits, creamy yogurt, and sprinkled walnuts. The number of layers can vary depending on the height of the chosen glass or cup, but typically, two to three layers are sufficient to create a harmonious balance of flavors and textures.
While you may be tempted to indulge in this exquisite dessert immediately, I recommend refrigerating it for a couple of hours. As time passes, the dessert settles and cools, allowing the flavors to meld together in perfect harmony. Additionally, the yogurt becomes firmer, further enhancing the overall texture and enjoyment of the dessert.
Whether enjoyed immediately or after a few hours of chilling, these Lebanese coffee dessert jars offer a delectable experience that combines the fragrant Lebanese coffee, the creamy Greek yogurt, the nutty walnuts, and the subtle spices. Each spoonful is a delightful symphony of flavors that transport you to the enchanting realm of Middle Eastern culinary bliss.
Lebanese Coffee Dessert Jars
- 1 cup Lebanese coffee, brewed strong
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Ladyfingers or sponge biscuits, as needed
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the brewed Lebanese coffee, ground cardamom, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon. Stir well to infuse the flavors.
- Dip the ladyfingers or sponge biscuits into the spiced Lebanese coffee mixture, ensuring they are moistened but not overly soaked.
- Place a layer of the moistened biscuits at the bottom of each dessert jar or glass.
- Spoon a generous layer of Greek yogurt on top of the biscuits, spreading it evenly to create a smooth layer.
- Sprinkle a handful of chopped walnuts over the yogurt layer, adding a delightful crunch and nutty flavor.
- Repeat the layers of moistened biscuits, yogurt, and walnuts until the jars are filled, ending with a layer of yogurt and a sprinkling of walnuts on top.
- Cover the dessert jars or glasses and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, allowing the flavors to meld together and the dessert to set.
- Serve the chilled Lebanese Coffee Dessert Jars and enjoy the delicious combination of spiced coffee, creamy yogurt, and crunchy walnuts.